Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Yard Sale - You Meet the Best People!

by Insurance Guru

The Guru had a Yard Sale Last week, not for economic necessity, thank goodness, but to get rid of some stuff that was a little too big to haul to Goodwill and I've been feeling pretty cheeky this past month so it sounded like some fun.

My plan was to start at 7 am but as soon as the garage door rolled up, the hard core negotiators pulled up. These folks are serious! I mean they go yard "sailing", towing trailers and tie-downs at the ready.

By the end of the day, my garage full of another man's treasures was reduced to two cardboard boxes on their way to Goodwill. I met and chatted with so many neighbors... the very ones who before were just a wave and a nod as they drove by. Kids left with giant smiles holding books, toys or a gift for Mom after parting with a quarter. I was able to make an elderly woman's day with a bargain priced stove she desperately needed and we included delivery and set up.

The extra cash this project generated was appreciated but the day-long enjoyment was priceless!

2 comments:

Gail Rae said...

Just want to tell you, guru, I've been facing the inevitability of having a garage sale, myself (actually, I should probably call it a "This Needs to be Held in the Town Hall Sale") and have been dreading it, mainly because, in all likelihood, I'll have to accomplish it alone.
I feel better, though, about doing it, now, having read your post. It sounds like more fun than trouble, and, I could use some neighbor knowledge right now.

insuranceguru said...

Chin up Gail Rae! I had a blast and plan to do it again in the fall as a fund-raiser for my son's school.