Thursday, February 19, 2009

Opal: One With the Universe

I've been handling the "end" of Opal far better than expected. There has been no doubt that this was the right thing to do and if at all possible, pet euthanasia within your own home is the best choice. I was very lucky to have a vet that provided that option for us.

I have one bit of important advice for those of you approaching the possibility of euthanizing your pet... Always ask the vet about the procedure itself. If they do not use a sedative before administering the anesthesia and Euthanal, then look for someone else.

An IV site must be started which can, understandably, be very uncomfortable and frightening for your pet. Administering a sedative before the "lethal injection" allows your beloved pet to relax, forget about the "IV start" and be in a very happy place. This also gives you time for final hugs, kisses and all the things you need to tell your sweet companion.

While giving a sedative to an animal before euthanasia certainly seems like the most humane and completely logical thing to do, not all vets will follow this procedure. Trust me, this important step will mean all the difference in the quality of this experience for both you and your precious pet.

8 comments:

shelliebee said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Reading it brought back memories of the time I had to put my Ivy to sleep. I know they are both happy and healthy now!

dethmama said...

@ shelliebee... it's so hard to let them go, isn't it? But yes, now they're running and playing like pups again!

I was blessed to have a vet that helped make this experience both peaceful and tender.

Gail Rae said...

I'm so glad you're back...and so sad about, you know, death and all...
I'm really pleased for the information about pet euthanasia, though. When The Big Girl was put down, I guess I was lucky...I didn't know that there were two ways to do it but I know our vet administered the two step euthanasia. I can't imagine vets not doing this!
I noticed the twitter about Teensie. Dogs and cats are soooo different! When The Big Girl died, our remaining cat, The Little Girl, wasted no time asserting herself as Queen. When Mom died, although I know that both our cats (Mr. Man's the 3rd) loved Mom, The Little Girl even considered herself Mom's primary caregiver, it was impossible not to notice that they both reveled in me having more time to spend paying attention to them.
How are you?

Gail Rae said...

Couldn't help notice your twitter about death at night and, since I don't (yet) belong to twitter (not sure I would be able to negotiate 140 characters per post), I thought I'd comment here. Out of curiosity, I just made a list of all the death times connected to my life of which I am aware, because, you know, it does seem like more people die at night. My results surprised me:
10 deaths total
3 at night (after sunset, before sunrise)
7 during the day (after sunrise, before sunset)
Funny thing, though, when I find out about someone's death, it seems like night has just fallen, no matter what time of day the notification takes place.
I wonder if a study has ever been done on this...and if it would yield anything other than random results.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your pet.

Jessica Knapp said...

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I would have thought of that on my own.

It's amazing how attached we get to those little guys. I'm really glad you're feeling like it was the right thing. That helped immensely with the one dog I had to put down, Angus. Not that it made it easy ... but we always knew we were ending his suffering.

Some day, it may take a while, but some day you'll think of her and be happy.

Kit Courteney said...

I had no idea that not all vets did this.

Not a nice concept to grasp.

deafeningchameleon said...

Me too, thank you for letting me know. I would never want any of my beloved cats or pets to suffer or be afraid at the end. Afterall its our turn to be by their side. I am very sorry for your loss.
-DC